How to Get Started as a CazCares Client
How do I get connected with CazCares?
Clients are referred to our pantry from other agencies such as the Madison County Dept. of Social Services or Community Action Program and from local school nurses and clergy. Neighbors and friends often bring people to CazCares for services.
How do I sign-up?
Families must complete a simple intake form to determine eligibility and can receive food once a month. Identification and proof of address is needed. We are part of a network of emergency food pantries and follow the guidelines set forth by the Food Bank of CNY.
What are the residency requirements?
CazCares serves residents of the towns of Cazenovia, Erieville, Fenner, Nelson, and New Woodstock. Portions of Chittenango and Canastota that fall in the Cazenovia Central School district are also included.
Clients who live outside this area but within Madison County may choose CazCares as their food pantry but must sign-up to transfer out of their hometown pantry. Copies of the completed transfer form are on file at both food pantries.
How often can I come for food?
Most families use the food pantry once a month. The pantry provides supplemental food and is not intended to be the only source of food for a household. More frequent use of the food pantry is determined based on demonstrated need and determined by the Director of Client Services.
How often can I come for clothing?
People can come as often as they would like to get clothing. Clothing is available free of charge. Clothing is limited to one bag per family per visit. Because our selection changes frequently, people may need several visits to find the items they need.
Our Program Policies
Food Pantry Policies
- Client of CazCares will receive food free of charge.
- Clients of CazCares will always receive food that meets the local, state, and federal standards for food safety.
Christmas Program Policies
- Clients must be regular clients of CazCares and must sign-up before Thanksgiving to participate.
- Clients must have a current record card on file.
- Children under age 13 are eligible to receive Christmas gifts which will be chosen by parents during a private appointment.
- Each family must pick up its own Christmas basket.
Back To School Program Policies
- To be considered a client of CazCares, your family must have a record card on file. If you live outside the Cazenovia School District you must have signed the pantry transfer form.
- Only children listed on the pantry record will be given school supplies.
- School supplies are intended to help you with your back to school list but may not cover the entire list required by your school’s teacher.
Client Volunteering Policy
- Due to a possible conflict of interest, we kindly ask that clients do not volunteer.